We’ve received messages from comrades and friends in Turkey that the May Day protests in Istanbul were subject to horrific police brutality. They’ve sent these pictures and asked us to share them. At least 28 people have been injured and 78 arrests made, with police using tear gas and water cannons on protestors. The events are a bitter echo of May Day 1977 when police violence led to the death of 34 people.
Defend the Right to Protest stand in solidarity with May Day protesters in Istanbul and everywhere.
From “Europeans against the political system”
“AS FAR AS WE KNOW TILL NOW, TODAY IN İSTANBUL:
- Serdal Gül: Shot in the head by teargas can. In surgery at hospital.
- Dilan Alp: Her cranium is broken by teargas can. In intensive care after a surgery.
- Fehmi Oran Meşe: Shot in the head by teargas can. In surgery at hospital.
- Emrah Akbaba: Shot in the head by teargas can. Had stitches at the hospital.
- Zeynel Sabaz: Waiting at the hospital with cranium fracture and the risk of brain hemorrhage.
- Şafak Kurt: At the hospital… Redness of the whole body, in a serious condition.
- Zeynel Nihadioğlu: In a police custody, reported not to be in good health.
- Ali Uğurlu: Finger broken. At the hospital.
- Rıza Soylu: Reported that the bone between the shoulder and the neck is broken by a gas bomb. Whereabouts are unknown.
- Esin Yıldız: Shot in the head and in the food by gasbombs. At the hospital.
Whoever has updates please let us know and spread them.”
2 thoughts on “May Day Protestors in Istanbul today face brutal police oppression. Dayanışma!”
Defend the Right to Protest – May Day Protestors in Istanbul today face brutal police oppression. Dayanışma!